RIO VISTA REAL ESTATE HISTORY
SETTLEMENT BEGAN IN 1850
Settlement in Rio Vista began in the 1850's when the 17,752 acre Mexican land grant known as Los Ulpinos was sold off in lots. During the years that followed settlers arrived and built residences and businesses. In 1858 a 75 foot long wharf was constructed making it possible for steamers to make daily stops. That same year the name of the town became la Vista del Rio or Rio Vista. The village thrived with salmon fishing becoming the most profitable local industry. Much was lost in 1861, however, when high waters overflowed and much of the town was submerged.
RIO VISTA MOVES TO NEW LOCATION
The townsfolk negotiated with resident Joseph Bruning for property further down the river and in 1862 the new City of Rio Vista was born. The city grew, but met with fire in 1892 destroying all businesses from Front St. to Third St. However, the pioneers persevered and the town incorporated in 1893. Located on the banks of the Sacramento River, fishing and farming were the primary sources of income. The population of the town grew in the first half of the 1900s to approximately 3000. A quaint and peaceful place, Rio Vista manages to maintain its small town atmosphere while it continues to develop.
PRIMARY INDUSTRIES IN RIO VISTA
Known for its rolling hills where farmers raise sheep and grow grain, the townsfolk remain friendly and the merchants helpful. Rio Vista became well known in 1985 when Humphrey the whale wandered upstream on the Sacramento River. Each October fishermen flock to the city for three days during the annual Bass Festival where they compete for the prize for catching the largest fish. A schedule of events can be obtained from the Rio Vista Chamber.
RIO VISTA REAL ESTATE DEVELOPS
With its eclectic mix of new and historical homes, new housing is being added daily. In the 1940s and 1950s the Triguiero Track was constructed on the North side of the highway. The 1960s saw the construction of custom homes on the waterfront. In the 1970s the Esperson Track was born and in 1999 the family development of Homecoming was added. The 50 homes in Vineyard Bluffs, all homes with large lots and no rear neighbors, were constructed in 2003. The adult community of Trilogy began in 1996 and continues to expand today. Trilogy provides multiple activities for seniors including the very popular 18 hole golf course. The original builder, Blackhawk, offered 13 original floor plans. Shea Homes added 13 new floor plans when they began buiding in 2002. They continue to build today. To date 2300 of the total of 3000 homes have been constructed. With each new phase floor plans are revised and modernized based upon developments in the construction industry.