HOMES BUILT IN RIO VISTA AROUND THE TURN OF THE CENTURY, 1900.
CAPTAIN LARSEN'S HOME
In 1897, a local contractor named Weston Campbell constructed this beautiful Queen Anne home for Captain Lars Peter larsen, his wife, Annie, and their two children. L.P. larsen and C. Campbell were listed as the architects of the home while Sullivan and Larsen were listed as the builder. Lars was a partner in that company with James Sullivan. The property covers one quarter of the block, including a yard, barn and carriage house. The interior has changed little since constructed over a century ago. The hand painted wood is a monument to the craftsmanship of the time period along with the 12 to 13 foot ceilings. A widow's walk on the roof of the home allowed Captain larsen to see up and down the river.
SENATOR MCCORMACK'S HOME
In 1898, Senator Thomas McCormack purchased the land on which to build this fine home. Construction by contractor Fred Johnson started shortly thereafter and was completed in 1902. The home, on the corner of Second and St. Gertrude Streets still stands today.
THE DIRR RESIDENCE
In 1899 Weston Campbell built this home on South Second Street for Mr. Jesse Thomas, a native of Maine. Mr. Thomas had purchased four parcels of land from joseph and Gertrude Bruning for $600 in gold coin. One of their four children married Henry J Dirr of Rio Vista. To many locals the house is still known as the Dirr home.
DR. A.J. MCKINNON'S HOME
On March 14, 1905 Dr. Aloysius McKinnon purchased the quarter block of land at Second and Santa Clara from Felix and Marie Drouin for $10 in gold coin. It was at this location that A. J. and his wife Lizzie built the brown shingle home which still stands today. Having knowledge of construction from having worked for a lumber firm prior to entering medical school, A.J secured a well-respected local builder, Weston Campbell, to build his home.
ALBERT COLBY CHURCH HOME
During the 1880s, Albert Colby Church hired local contractor Weston Campbell to construct the large, two story home located just one mile outside of town. Church was a native of Michigan as was his wife, Sarah. After Albert passed on sometime between 1885 and 1900, his wife and two sons continued to operate the farm. The home changed hands around 1902 when Perry Anderson purchased the property.
Information for the homes on this page is courtesy of Philip Pezzaglia, Author of Images of America, Rio Vista and Curator of the Rio Vista Museum. Photographs by Carla Harden.