THE RIO VISTA MUSEUM
The Rio Vista Museum at 14 N Front St. was founded in 1975 when a group of local citizens decided to preserve and document the history of the city and surrounding area. On the site of a former blacksmith's shop, the museum houses photographs of the early businesses, homes and school academies from the 1900s. Artifacts of yesteryear fill the cases. Early farm equipment is housed in the middle room and historic newspaper headlines line the inner wall. The museum is open every Saturday and Sunday afternoon year round.
THE REAL MCCOY FERRY TO RYER ISLAND
Crossing the water from Rio Vista to Ryer Island is only possible by ferry, the Real McCoy. On the opposite side of the island the J Mack carries passengers across Steamboat Slough from Ryer Island to Grand Island. Each ferry is pulled across the water by a cable hidden in the water below. Each ferry holds approximately eight automobiles. These two ferries are among the most unique and rare forms of water transport found today.
FOSTER'S BIGHORN RESTAURANT
Foster's Bighorn was established in 1931 by Bill Foster. At a young age Bill became facinated with African wildlife and made his first safari in 1928. He gathered one of the most remarkable collections of heads of animals, birds and fish from all over the globe. One rare specimen is the mounted head of a giraffe and another a moose with an antler spread of 76 inches. The elephant head is the largest mammal trophy in any collection in existance. Bill Foster passed away in 1963, but his collection remains intact in the restaurant which continues to bear his name www.fostersbighorn.com
THE RYDE HOTEL
Built in 1927, the Ryde Hotel with its pink stucco facade graced with palm trees was one of the most opulent stops in the Delta. The lower level was a speakeasy offering bootleg whiskey and jazz to fun loving clientele. With its notoriety the Ryde attracted celebrities of all types including actors and politicians. Currently the hotel offers to everyone glorious views of the river, a 9 hole golf course, Sunday brunch and an opportunity to celebrate special events in style. www.rydehotel.com
THE WESTERN RAILWAY MUSEUM
In 1946 a group of like minded collectors known as the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association purchased an old Oakland streetcar. In the years that followed they continued to collect artifacts, photographs, books and signage. In 1960 the Rio Vista Junction was selected as their museum site and the Western Railway Museum was born. With a gift of 22 miles of right of way by the Union Pacific, the museum was able to recreate an authentic interurban trip on site. The extensive archives of the museum library serve researchers and visitors alike. Each October the museum sponsors the very popular Pumpkin Patch to assist with its fund raising goals. www.wrm.org
THE SHILOH CHURCH
The Shiloh Church, originally the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, burned in 1875 and the present church, built by Civil War veterans was re-built in 1876. The minister would arrive by boat up the Montezuma Shough and pick up a ride to the church. In the early 1900s services were provided by Rev. Barkway and after 1920, Rev Storey. Martha Blackwelder donated her pump organ to the church in 1918. The church was a unifying force throughout the Denverton township and the Shiloh Rd area. The church is county owned and managed by the Cemetary Board. The cemetary contains the remains of John Bird and other early pioneers of Solano County.